Guidance for the power sector
Why take action?
A sustainable energy system is at the heart of the low-carbon transition. A significant and growing segment of final energy consumption is met by purchased electricity – therefore, efficiency improvements in electricity generation will benefit the power sector and cascade down the value chain.
How to set a target
We have launched a new pathway for the power sector, allowing electric utilities to set science-based targets in line with limiting warming to 1.5°C.
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) has welcomed around 30 power companies from 18 countries so far. Join them today. Commit to setting a target and use our guidance to develop and submit a target for approval:
Please contact us with any queries.
Led by CDP, the SBTi has released both the 1.5°C-aligned pathway and guidance to support electric utilities at setting science-based targets that meet specific requirements for the sector. This guidance covers all electric utilities that generate power.
Technical support for this work was provided by Guidehouse.
We would like to thank the Porticus Foundation for financially supporting this work.
This sectoral update was conducted through an expedited development and consultation process, which focused on the selection of 1.5°C-aligned pathways for the power sector and clarification of target-setting boundary options and requirements.
- August 2019: Project commenced;
- December 2019: Publication of timeline and consultation opportunities on the SBTi website;
- March 2020: A consultative webinar was convened to gather feedback on proposed approaches to selecting 1.5°C-aligned scenarios and potential adjustments to the SBTi’s sector-specific assessment criteria. View slides from the webinar and a summary of feedback;
- March 2020: The Scientific Advisory Group was provided an opportunity to comment to ensure consistency between selected 1.5°C pathways and the most recent science;
- June 2020: The SBTi published the final guidance and updated tool.
- Download Setting 1.5°C-aligned Science-based Targets: Quick Start Guide for Electric Utilities
- Download the updated Science-based Target Setting Tool
- Download Supplementary Material
Browse more sectors
If your sector is not listed here, you can still set a science-based target using our methods and resources. Consult the step-by-step guide to get started.