Set a target
Register online and submit a letter to commit to setting a science-based target, or to have your existing targets independently verified.
If your company is a Small or Medium-Sized Enterprise (SME), please skip this step and proceed to step 3. We define an SME as an independent, non-subsidiary company with fewer than 500 employees. This does not include Financial Institutions (FIs) and Oil & Gas companies.
Submit the standard commitment letter. We encourage companies to commit to net-zero and automatically join Race to Zero campaign. Companies that are eligible to join the Race to Zero must follow the SBTi’s current fossil fuel policy. For any queries, please contact Race to Zero at email@example.com.
Once committed, your company has 24 months to submit their targets to the SBTi. Review the SBTi's Commitment Compliance Policy.
Develop your target(s) in line with our science-based criteria.
- Our online resources offer comprehensive guidance to assist your company in this process.
- We encourage companies to begin with an overview of the target development process in the SBTi Getting Started Guide, followed by reviewing the requirements of target setting in the SBTi Criteria and Recommendations or Net-Zero Standard Criteria. To understand these requirements in more depth, companies should then review the Target Validation Protocol and use the target setting tool or the net-zero tool to begin developing targets.
- Some sectors also have sector-specific guidance and requirements.
- You have 24 months to submit your target after signing your commitment letter.
Submit your target for validation.
Submit the relevant form for your organization and target type:
- Corporate near-term target submission form. Read our blog on the top tips for completing the near-term submission form.
- If you are looking to update your target, fill in the Target Update submission form.
- SBTi Net-Zero Target Submission Form Part I (Word), SBTi Net-Zero Target Submission Form Part II (Excel) and Net-Zero target-setting tool
- If applicable, submit the FLAG Annex I in addition to your standard submission form
- Financial institutions near-term target submission form
- Streamlined route for Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
- Target Validation Application Checklist for SMEs
To avoid delays, we encourage you to review the available resources carefully and complete the form clearly and accurately.
Our team of technical experts will review your submission, validate it against our science-based criteria and communicate their decision with in-depth feedback.
We offer a range of costed target validation services:
- Near-term science-based target validation, including a second submission for validations that are not accepted and are re-submitted within six months: $9,500
- Target updates for companies wishing to align their targets with our minimum ambition level of 1.5°C or to update or edit previously approved targets: $4,750
- Net-zero target submissions: $9,500
- Near-term science-based target update + Net-zero target submission – Package Rate: $12,750
- Near-term science-based target submission + Net-zero target submission – Package Rate: $14,500
- FLAG target submission: $7,500
- Financial institution target submission: $14,500
- Near-term science-based target submission for small-and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs): $1,000
- Net-zero target submission for SMEs: $1,000
Companies headquartered in developing countries with yearly revenue under $1 billion USD may be exempt from validation service fees.
Announce your target and inform your stakeholders.
- Once we have approved your target, we will publish it on our website and relevant partner websites.
- We publish targets one month after approval, unless otherwise instructed. Your target must be made public within six months of approval, or it will require revalidation to ensure it is in line with the latest science-based criteria.
- Your company will receive a welcome pack with advice on how to communicate your new target.
Disclose your progress.