Set a target
Register online and submit a letter to commit to setting a science-based target, or to have your existing targets independently verified.
If your company is a Small or Medium-Sized Enterprise (SME), please skip this step and proceed to step 3. We define an SME as an independent, non-subsidiary company with fewer than 500 employees.
Register online using the SBTi commitment process. Please note Small and Medium enterprises must use the streamlined route for SMEs.
Submit the standard commitment letter. We encourage companies to commit to net-zero and automatically join the Business Ambition for 1.5°C and the Race to Zero. Please note oil and gas companies, airports, or companies with >50% coal or at risk of non-parent approach are not able to join the Race to Zero at this point in time. For any queries, please contact Race to Zero at [email protected]
All committed companies are recognized as "Committed" on our website and partner websites CDP and We Mean Business.
Once committed, your company has 24 months to complete steps 2-4.
Develop your target(s) in line with our science-based criteria.
- We offer comprehensive guidance to assist your company in this process.
- We encourage companies to begin with an overview of the target development process in the SBTi How-To Guide or Net-Zero Getting Started Guide, followed by reviewing the requirements of target setting in the SBTi Criteria and Recommendations or Net-Zero Standard Criteria. To understand these requirements in more depth, companies should then review the Target Validation Protocol and use the target setting tool or net-zero tool to begin developing targets.
- Some sectors also have sector-specific guidance and requirements.
- You have 24 months from signing your commitment letter to get your target developed, validated and published.
Submit your target for validation.
- Submit a completed target submission form (or the equivalent for financial institutions or SMEs*).
- To avoid delays, we encourage you to review the available resources carefully and complete the form clearly and accurately.
- Book your validation via our booking system
- Our team of technical experts will review your submission, validate it against our science-based criteria and communicate their decision with in-depth feedback.
- The target validation service costs USD 4,950** (+ applicable VAT) or USD 1,000 (+ applicable VAT) for SMEs. In some cases, we may waive this fee for companies headquartered in developing countries and economies in transition.
* Please note, this is currently our temporary submission form. To be eligible for the streamlined SME target-setting route, your company must be independent, non-subsidiary and with fewer than 500 employees. This is the only option available to SMEs. View our SME FAQs.
**The validation fee includes up to two target assessments. Subsequent resubmissions cost USD 2490 (+ applicable VAT) each.
Upgrade your target
Complete this form to voluntarily update your existing science-based target to a 1.5°C or well-below 2°C pathway.
Announce your target and inform your stakeholders.
- Once we have approved your target, we will publish it on our Companies taking action page and partner websites.
- We publish targets one month after approval, unless otherwise instructed. Your target must be made public within six months of approval, or it will require revalidation to ensure it is in line with the latest science-based criteria.
- Your company will receive a welcome pack with advice on how to communicate your new target.
Disclose your progress.
- Following approval, you should disclose your companies' emissions annually and monitor progress on reaching your target.
- Recommendations for reporting include disclosure through CDP, annual reports, sustainability reports and your company’s website.