Set a target
Register online and submit a letter to commit to setting a science-based target, or to having your existing targets independently verified.
If your company is intending to submit via the streamlined Small or Medium-Sized Enterprise (SME) validation route, please skip this step and proceed to step 3. Companies are eligible for the streamlined SME route if all criteria points are met:
Have <10,000 tCO2e across scope 1 and location-based scope 2
Do not own or control maritime transport vessels
Do not own or control non-renewable power generation assets
Are not a subsidiary of a parent company whose combined businesses fall into the standard validation route
And two or more are true:
Employ <250 employees*
Turnover of <€50 million*
Total assets of <€25 million*
Are not in a mandatory FLAG sector**
(Effective 1 January 2024. Until 31 December 2023, independent non-subsidiary companies with less than 500 employees, who are not in the O&G or FI sectors, are eligible for the streamlined validation route.)
**See Criterion 1 of the FLAG Guidance
Submit the standard commitment letter. We encourage companies to commit to net-zero and automatically join the Race to Zero.
Once committed, your company has 24 months to submit their targets to the SBTi. Review the SBTi's Commitment Compliance Policy.
Develop your target(s) in line with our current science-based criteria.
- Our online resources offer comprehensive guidance to assist your company in this process.
- We encourage companies to begin with an overview of the target development process in the SBTi Getting Started Guide, followed by reviewing the requirements of target setting in the SBTi Criteria and Recommendations or Net-Zero Standard Criteria.
- To understand these requirements in more depth, companies should then review the Procedure for Validation of SBTi Targets and use the target setting tool or the net-zero tool to begin developing targets.
- Determine if there are sector-specific guidance and requirements for your company.
- Please note that companies have 24 months to submit targets after signing a commitment letter.
Submit your target for validation.
- Complete the relevant forms for your organization and target type:
Target Update: To update or edit previously approved targets, fill in the SBTi Corporate Target Submission Form.
Financial Institutions: Financial institutions near-term target submission form.
- Submit your forms and select a validation date through SBTi's Booking System
- Sign an agreement and submit payment for the validation services
- Communicate with your assigned technical expert during validation
- Receive a validation decision with in-depth feedback
Announce your target and inform your stakeholders.
- Once we have approved your target, we will publish it on our website in our Target Dashboard.
- We publish targets on a weekly basis one month after their validation, unless otherwise instructed. Your target must be made public within six months of validation, or it will require revalidation to ensure it is in line with the latest science-based criteria.
- Your company will receive a welcome pack with advice on how to communicate your new target.
Disclose progress made towards your science-based target.
- Following approval, companies are required to disclose emissions annually and monitor progress on reaching their target.
- Recommendations for reporting include disclosure through CDP, annual reports, sustainability reports and your company’s website.