Vacancy - Senior Manager: Net-Zero
19th Nov 2020
Senior Manager: Net-Zero
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is looking for an outstanding individual to lead the development of its standard for science-based corporate Net Zero targets.
The SBTi, a partnership between CDP, the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), drives ambitious climate action by mobilising companies to set science-based targets (SBTs), GHG reduction targets that are aligned with what climate science tells us is required to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement. Since its launch in 2015, the SBTi has become the world’s largest business initiative on climate change, with over 1,000 companies committed to science-based climate action.
Building on its work on science-based GHG reduction targets, the SBTi has launched a process to develop the first science-based global standard for corporate net-zero targets, to ensure that companies’ net-zero targets translate into action that is consistent with achieving a net-zero world by no later than 2050.
Responsibilities & Tasks
The primary responsibilities of this position are the following:
- Leads the project to develop the SBTi’s standard for corporate net-zero targets, under strategic direction of the SBTi Steering Committee
- Oversees and contributes to the development of the technical deliverables comprising the Net Zero standard (Criteria, Target validation protocol, guidance)
- Leads the development and drafting of the SBTi Net Zero guidance
- Coordinates engagement with the Net Zero Expert Advisory Group, with support from SBTi Core Team members
- Coordinates the public consultation process for the net-zero project, with support from SBTi Core Team members
- Contributes to communication materials and collaterals related to the SBTi net-zero work, e.g. relevant blog posts
- Contributes to the development of strategic partnerships related to the SBTi net-zero work
- Ensures alignment of the Net Zero project with the SBTi’s overall technical work and messaging
- Works as a member of the SBTi’s Technical Working Group and directly reports to the SBTi Steering Committee
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- >7 years of professional experience, primarily in the corporate climate action space
- Strong technical and applied knowledge of relevant concepts and standards around GHG accounting as well as corporate climate target-setting and action
- Strong understanding of the drivers for and practical challenges of implementing climate action strategies across businesses’ operations and value chains
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience in convening complex, multi-stakeholder processes. Ideally experience in sustainability standard setting processes;
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to make complex technical subjects accessible to non-expert audiences
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a culturally and geographically diverse professional environment
- Fluent written and spoken English
- A relevant university degree (desirable)
- The is a full-time position with an initial 4-month remote consultant contract and will be converted into full-time employment with one of the SBTi partner organisations, with the specific organization depending on where the successful candidate is geographically based.
- High flexibility in geographic location of candidate
- Targeted starting date in January 2021
- Competitive remuneration
Interested applicants are asked to please send an email with the subject line ‘Net Zero Manager Application’ and attached CV to [email protected] by December 4th 2020.
Having a science-based target helps keep us on track. It means we know what we need to do in the short and medium term to meet the longer-term vision. By being part of the global initiative we know we are part of a bigger movement. Keiko Shiga Sustainability Department, Sony Corporation