I’m getting in touch about
My existing target or commitment
Commitments are normally processed and published on our website within two weeks of submitting the commitment form. Approved targets are published within one month of a company receiving their approval notice via email.
Companies may choose to reschedule their publication date to be published on any Thursday within six months of receiving your official target validation notice via email. To do so, please contact email@example.com or respond to your target validation email at least three days in advance of your original publication date.
Yes. You may reschedule your targets to be published on any Thursday within 6 months of having received your official target validation notice via email. To do so, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 3 business days in advance of your original publication date.
The following information will be made visible when committed to the SBTi:
1. Company/Financial Institution name
4. Commitment Status
5. Headquartered region and location
7. Publication date
8. Business Ambition for 1.5°C campaign/net-zero status
The following information will be added once a target is approved:
1. Near-term and long-term temperature rating
2. Net-zero year (if applicable)
3. Target wording
Companies should notify the SBTi of any significant changes in growth projections and other assumptions that were used in developing the target, as well as the business or data and emissions factors used in the inventory process.
We recommend that companies report these changes publicly, where relevant. In addition, we recommend that science-based targets are recalculated, as needed, to reflect significant changes that would compromise the relevance and consistency of the targets.
The following changes should trigger a target recalculation:
· Scope 3 emissions become 40% or more of aggregated Scopes 1, 2 and 3 emissions;
· Emissions of exclusions in the inventory or target boundary change significantly;
· Significant changes in company structure and activities (e.g. acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, insourcing or outsourcing, shifts in goods or service offerings);
· Significant adjustments to the base-year inventory or changes in data to set targets such as growth projections (e.g. discovery of significant errors or a number of cumulative errors that are collectively significant);
· Other significant changes to projections/assumptions used in setting the science-based targets.
The 24-month commitment period begins the day that the commitment letter is signed. Your target must be submitted on the last day of the same month, 24 months later (e.g., a commitment signed on July 20, 2021 would expire July 31, 2023).
To ensure targets remain aligned with the most recent climate science, companies will be required to review, and if necessary revalidate, their targets every five years from the date of the original target approval, beginning in 2025. This will become mandatory in 2025.
Any company that wants the SBTi to validate its net-zero target - including Business Ambition option 2 companies - will need to align its near-term science-based emissions reduction targets with 1.5°C.
Business Ambition for 1.5°C companies must book their validation slot by January 2024. If your near-term science-based emissions reduction targets are not yet aligned to 1.5°C (scopes 1 and 2), your ambition must be increased when you submit your net-zero target for validation.
For more information on timelines for Business Ambition for 1.5°C companies please see our new Commitment Compliance Policy.