Science Based Targets: How businesses are aligning their goals with climate science
When: 25 September 2015, 9:00 – 11:30
Where: UN Global Compact, 685 3rd Ave, 12th Floor, New York
The Science Based Targets Initiative – a partnership of CDP, UN Global Compact, World Resources Institute and WWF – will host an exclusive event on 25th September, 2015 during the Climate Week New York, on why and how businesses are accelerating progress towards a low-carbon economy.
Please note that registration for this event has now closed.
9:00-9:10 Welcoming Remarks
• Ms. Lila Karbassi, Head, Environment and Climate, UN Global Compact
• Mr. Andrew Steer, President and CEO, WRI
9:10-9:15 Introduction to Science Based Targets by the Moderator
• Ms. Samantha Smith, Leader of the WWF Global Climate and Energy Initiative
9:15-10:00 How and why companies are aligning GHG emission targets with climate science
Business leaders will share experiences and opportunities of how their companies are aligning their GHG emission targets with climate science.
• Why and how business have adopted and committed to GHG emission reductions targets;
• How leading companies can positively influence policy-makers by demonstrating leadership.
• Ms. Emma Stewart, Head of Sustainability Solutions, Autodesk
• Ms. Lori Michelin, Vice-President Global Sustainability & EHS, Colgate Palmolive
• Ms. Leah Seligmann, Director of Sustainability, NRG
10:00-10:35 Best practice on choosing a target setting method and developing a science based target
Provide findings and recommendations from the forthcoming Science Based Targets’ Goal Setting Manual.
• Ms. Cynthia Cummis, Deputy Director, GHG Protocol, WRI
Q&A with audience.
10:35-10:55 Call to Action: Announcement of early movers
Overview of the Call to Action campaign, including target setting criteria and a review process offered to companies. Announcement of the first set of companies who have committed to science-based targets.
• Mr. Lance Pierce, President, CDP North America
New announcements by companies committing to science based targets.
10:55-11:00 Closing Remarks
Business leadership and ambition on climate action and GHG reduction targets, especially ahead of COP21/CMP11 in December in Paris.
• Ms. Lise Kingo, Executive Director, UN Global Compact
11:00-11:30 Reception and networking